Black Bean & Venison Chili Recipe
Free up your freezer space with this one-pot venison recipe, the perfect comfort food for a chilly day
By: Scott & Tiffany Haugen
Scott and Tiffany Haugen, authors of Cooking Big Game, give you a venison chili recipe to keep you warm all winter long.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
- 1 pound venison, ground or small cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a heavy stew pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil and sauté venison, onions and garlic on medium-high heat until meat is browned.
2. Add spices and continue to brown to release and toast the spices. Add tomato paste and continue to brown 1-2 minutes.
3. Add water and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer at least 20 minutes. Add black beans and simmer an additional 15 minutes.
4. Garnish with sour cream, avocado and cheddar cheese, if desired. To slow cook in a crock pot, sauté ingredients as directed and then add meat mixture, water, broth and beans to the crock pot. Simmer on low 1-3 hours.
via Game & Fish http://ift.tt/Up4Fgi
October 3, 2017 at 11:00AM