Venison Chili Mac and Cheese
Make this mac and cheese even creamier by boiling the pasta 3-4 minutes longer than the directions say on the box
By: Chef Tom Minchella
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours and 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds ground venison
- 2 mediums onions, diced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups red wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup whole Italian tomatoes
Mac and Cheese Ingredients:
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated Sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cups half & half
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¾ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and the ground venison.
2. Season the venison and stir until browned. Add the onions and garlic and sauté over medium heat until they start to caramelize, about 8-10 minutes.
3. Add the tomato paste and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, this will remove some of the acid. Add red wine and reduce by half. Add the beef broth and the spices.
4. Simmer the chili for 1 hour. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 1 hour. Season with salt and black pepper.
5. Place the chili in a casserole dish that is large enough for the chili to fill halfway. Wrap the chili with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Mac and Cheese Directions:
1. Cook the past or 3-4 minutes more than the directions on the box. Yes, they will be a little overcooked but as you will see this will make a very creamy mac and cheese.
2. When the pasta is cooked, drain and shock the pasta under cold running water. Shake all of the excess water off the pasta and place in a plastic container. Stir in the rest of the ingredients, cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
3. Remove the pasta mixture and spoon on top of the chili. Sprinkle the top with grated Parmesan cheese and bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from the oven and let sit 10 minutes before serving.
via Game & Fish http://ift.tt/Up4Fgi
October 3, 2017 at 10:30AM