Wild Bear Tequila Chili Tacos Recipe
This isn’t your typical taco recipe – swapping beef for bear will exceed your expectations
By: Chef Tom Minchella
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean bear meat, ground
- 1 large red onion, peeled and diced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 red chilies, chopped with the seeds
- 2 jalapeños, chopped
- ¾ cup tequila
- 1 14.5-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 or more cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 12 flour tortillas, toasted in a hot pan or grill
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium jalapeño, chopped
- ½ red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ head of iceberg lettuce, shaved thin
- ½ pound cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 avocado, peeled, seed removed and sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
1. Heat a large 4 quart sauce pan over medium high heat. Season the bear with salt and pepper.
2. Add the olive oil and then the seasoned bear meat. Stir until the meat is cooked through about 5-8 minutes.
3. While meat is browning, mix all salsa ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
4. Add the diced peppers, onion and the garlic. Stand back and add the tequila. Be careful the alcohol will ignite and burn off.
5. Add the crushed tomatoes and the beef broth and bring to a simmer. Add the spices and simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours adding more beef broth as needed.
6. Distribute bear meat mixture among toasted tortillas and top with salsa. Add optional ingredients if desired.
via Game & Fish http://ift.tt/Up4Fgi
October 3, 2017 at 10:30AM