Bear Fat Pie Crust Recipe
A simple recipe for pie crust featuring rendered bear fat
Use this bear fat pie crust in my Venison Mincemeat Pie Recipe.
Yield: Dough for 2 (2-crust) pies
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chilled bear fat
- ½ cup cold milk
1. Sift flour, then resift with salt.
2. With a pastry cutter, cut half of the bear fat into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
3. Cut in remaining bear fat until the crumbles are the size of large green peas.
4. Add cold milk and gently mix with a fork until evenly incorporated. Squeeze a small amount of the mixture in the palm of your hand and if it doesn’t hold together, add in an additional tablespoon of milk.
5. Lay down a piece of plastic wrap and dump the mixture out onto the plastic. Gently press together until mixture forms a loose ball. Do not overwork. Wrap the ball in the plastic wrap and set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
6. Remove chilled dough and divide into four parts, two of the parts (the top crust) slightly larger than the other two parts, and roll out on a floured surface.
7. Use pie crust dough to make your favorite sweet or savory pie.
via Game & Fish http://ift.tt/Up4Fgi
December 1, 2017 at 05:05PM